Stand-alone GRUB HELP

John Do pcbsdguy at yahoo.ca
Sun Sep 11 21:18:43 PDT 2005

Hi guys

I have been reading documentation and I'm still
confused.

I have Windows on ad0 and FreeBSD on ad2

I installed the BSD bootloader but it is only booting
Windows.

There is some limitation or problem and no matter what
I try in the emergency shell I cannot configure
boot0cfg to work properly.

So I need two solutions to try:

How do I configure the BSD boot loader to work to boot
both Windows and FreeBSD?  I have tried commands like

boot0cfg -B -s 2 ad2 and it doesn't seem to help or
boot

Second solution:

Stand-alone GRUB install

How can I install GRUB stand-alone? How do I install
it into /boot?  I guess /boot = some mounted partition
of a unix OS?

Would it be best to make /boot under the existing
FreeBSD partition?

The more exact details the better.  I've been
scratching my head over this for days

thx!