Question

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Sun Sep 11 20:56:31 PDT 2005

At 08:05 PM 9/11/2005, !@#$%iii wrote:
>We are running FreeBSD 4.7 and 4.10 on Intel SR2300
>servers with 1-2 GB of memory and Adaptec 2100s or
>2010s raid cards. We are also using Seagate 73gb and
>146GB 15k drives.
>
>We mirror drives 0 and 2 with drive 1 ad the back up.
>But we get alot of server self reboots and then fsck's
>to follow. This is causing more downtime as usual.
>
>Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening,
>why the servers are periodically rebooting and also
>why we might be seeing more drive failures than before
>when running something like Unix or Linux?

I never really got a chance to track down exactly why, but I've used
seagate drives with adaptec raid cards in the past, and I found that
most (if not all) the drives that were declared "bad" by the raid
card, in fact only had a couple of sectors that were bad.  Using the
verify utility in the adaptec raid card to re-map the one or two bad
sectors was all that was needed to re-use the drive.

-Glenn