php extensions compile error - another compile bug?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sun Sep 11 14:04:14 PDT 2005

Vizion wrote:

>Seeing as I am in the process of trying to build a resource to help victims of
>the Katrina disaster your tone of  correspondence, and speed of engagement,
>has the unfortunate effect of reminding me about FEMA.
>
>There are two bugs in the makefile and one other issue that causes problems,
>so it is not surprising that some degree of traffic was generated.

The first statement appears to be an attempt to rationalize your flurry
of recent posts on
a relatively trival subject, which at the last instance seems to be
pretty much solved.

The second is opinon at the very least and quite possibly pure tripe.
The ports system
works fine for me, on at least 4 different machines, as  I noted in an
email to you,
personally, early on the morning of the 10th.

I doubt seriously that I am alone in that.

I furthermore wonder how one can decide that a couple of issues with
oudated
libraries constitutes a critical bug, and therefore requires that the
port maintainer
be cc'ed for every post you make to the list for the next two days.

<flame deleted>

It was not difficult at all to find the issues with libmagic discussed
in several threads
by utilizing Google.  WDDX accounts for a miniscule amount of PHP's
functionality.
The changes to the way the PHP port works were made *last summer*, and
discussed
in /usr/ports/UPDATING, which you are supposed to read when you install
new or
update previously installed ports.

Do yourself a favor:  update your system, read UPDATING, use Google, and
chill??  ;-)

Alex, I apologize for mentioning "the fine work you do" in a post in
this thread.  It was
not my intention to tape "Hit Me" to your backside....

Kevin Kinsey