Katrina project -- How can I get the libmagic distribution for freebsd 5.3

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Sun Sep 11 08:02:37 PDT 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 06:33,  the author Lowell Gilbert contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: Katrina project -- How can I get the libmagic distribution for freebsd
5.3:

>Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> writes:
>> I have   reason to doubt the validity of my libmagic distribution.
>>
>> I urgently need to resolve this for a non-profit project to provide
>> services for Katrina survivors.
>>
>> Does anyone help me to get and re-install that distribution correctly?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004
>>     root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>
>libmagic is part of the base system, and imports are regularly taken
>from the maintainer.  The easiest thing to do would be to update your
>whole system; short of that, updating just that library from the
>FreeBSD cvs tree would probably be the simplest.
>
>If you really want to go to source, I recall there being some pointers
>in a makefile indicating where it came from...
Thanks very much

In fact it turned out that libmagic was OK on my system. The problem was in
fact caused by a bug in the php5 Makefile which, on FreeBSD 5.3 was looking
for libmagic in the wrong location. At the same time the console message
asked the user to reinstall libmagic -- which of cource would not have put
libmagic in the place that the makefile was looking at!!!

I have let ale at freebsd.org know about that bug and another bug in the php5
make so it will no doubt get fixed in the next version.

Thanks again

david

Thanks for your help
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.