tftpd does not respond to connections

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 22:01:24 PDT 2005

This has got me thoroughly stumped. On both stock FreeBSD 4.9 and
FreeBSD 5.4 installs, tftpd does not and will not work. I uncomment
out the first tftpd line found in /etc/inetd.conf, kill -HUP
`/var/run/inetd.pid` and then attempt to connect to port 69. I've
tried:

- telnetting to localhost and the IP assigned to the network
interface, to no avail
- binding inetd to a specific IP with the -a switch and telnetting to
that, to no avail
- using the tftp client to both localhost and IP, both with inetd
binding to all, and a specific IP

I've tried it on both a 4.9 box, and a 5.4 box, both -RELEASE. Clearly
I'm missing something but I haven't seen any howto, man page, or
document explaining the need to do anything beyond uncommenting the
inetd.conf line and -HUP'ing the inetd process. In both cases (4.9 and
5.4), netstat shows the tftpd process, but never in a LISTEN state.

Please CC as I'm not subscribed to -questions (but at this rate I
probably should be...)

regards,
aaron.glenn