Compatibility

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Sat Sep 10 14:49:17 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 05:38:39PM -0400, Toolman327 at aol.com wrote:
> I was wondering if the FreeBSD Unix program that I have on cd's
> would be compatible with a Compaq Presario 5430US.  I came close
> to installing it till at the end when it gave a last warning
> involving a message that asked if I was sure I wanted to install
> and that I could loose data on disk once  installed.  Do you know
> if this program will work on my computer?  Thanks and hope to hear
> from you soon.  I am taking a Unix course at a University and
> could use a program like this (version 4.11)  to help with my
> homework at home

Installing FreeBSD will overwrite all the data on the partitions you
chose to install it to; if you chose the defaults, IIRC, that will
mean the entire harddisk. If you currently have Windows or Linux on
the computer, you can configure the installation to live next to the
existing OS(es) (it's called multi-booting) or choose to get rid of
them and only have FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is an entire operating system, like Windows or Linux, not
just a single program. It's a collection of programs that will give
you full Unix-like functionality -- it would be great to use to work
on your Unix skills for a University course or a job.

I don't know specifically if FreeBSD will work on your Compaq, but a
google search should help. Anecdotally, I'm running FreeBSD on my
Thinkpad just fine -- I'm sure other people have it running on
various other machines.

Good luck!

--

| jabber:..wcmaier at jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier at ml1.net |