i386/amd64 co-exist

Haulmark, Chris chris at sigd.net
Sat Sep 10 14:29:55 PDT 2005

Someone broke the silence:

> I would like to be able to setup a system so that on power up I can
> choose weather to boot into either i386 or amd64.
> Is this possible or would I some how have to install the two
> releases on
> their own?
>
> No matter what I do above I would also like to be able to have a user
> log in no matter which kernel is up and have their own home directory.
> I am guessing that if I put /usr/home on its own then that
> could solve
> that idea?
>
> Anyone doing anything like this or know of a site to point me at for
> some information?
>
> 				Thanks
> 				Sean

Ask yourself this question.

I would like to be able to set up a vehicle that I can choose wheather to use v4 motor or v8 motor.  That's so when I toss a car key to this kid, he will only use the vehicle with V4 motor enabled.  When I take this same car key, I want to use a vehicle with a V8.  Can both V4 and V8 co-exist in a single vehicle?

Kernel is similar to a motor in a PC.  What's bad is that you also re-compile every binary (make buildworld and make makekernel) to be supported with amd64 optimizations to make it a amd64 system.  You would have to do the same if you want it to be an i386 system.

You can't flip back and forth between a different architecture to another architecture based on only the kernel swapping as you can do with a car if you swap the motors back and forth (with huge amount of physical work).

Chris