Restarting MySQL from CRON

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sat Sep 10 11:16:01 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Sep 10), Gerard Seibert said:
> On Saturday, September 10, 2005 12:27:02 PM Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
> > In the last episode (Sep 10), Gerard Seibert said:
> > > From time to time, I have found that MySQL has ceased to run. I
> > > have a mailing program that requires that MySQL be running in
> > > order for it to operate.
> > >
> > > Since I cannot seem to track down why it occasionally stops
> > > functioning, and since the program that depends on it is started
> > > via CRON, would it be advisable to put an entry into the CRON
> > > that would restart MYSQL prior to the other program running.
> > >
> > > I was thinking of using this:
> > >
> > > 0  0  *  *  * /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh restart
> > >
> > > Would that work, or is there a better way?
> >
> > "start" is better than "restart", since that won't cause an
> > existing mysqld to exit.  But the startup script runs a script
> > called mysqld_safe, which automatically restarts mysqld if it
> > crashes anyway.  You might want to check your mysql .err log; maybe
> > someone with the SHUTDOWN privilege is doing a clean shutdown.
>
> It definitely does not restart automatically. In addition, I am the
> only user with root access. I doubt that anyone is shutting it down,
> even by mistake.
>
> Where do I find this mysql error file? I cannot seem to locate it.

/var/db/mysql/*.err

If you see "Normal Shutdown"/"Shutdown complete"/"mysqld ended", that's
a clean shutdown initiated by either a client connection or a signal
(SIGTERM for example).  Crashes should have a "mysqld got signal ##", a
bunch of debugging info, and a "mysqld restarted" line.  You're
obviously not seeing that last line :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com