ipfw out xmit trouble

Cheng Jin chengjin at cs.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 10 10:50:24 PDT 2005

Thanks, Leonidas.

> According to the FreeBSD Handbook, Chapter 26.5 you have to set the
> following sysctl variables in order to enable bridging support:
>
> net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
> net.link.ether.bridge.config=xl0,fxp0
> net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1

The bridge.ko is loaded via /boot/loader.conf, and both
bridge.enabled and bridge.config are set via /etc/sysctl.conf

bridge_ipfw is set in my script that was shown in the original
e-mail.

dummynet.ko is also loaded via /boot/loader.conf.  I believe I
have all the necessary ko's loaded and configs set.  Otherwise,
the second pipe wouldnt have worked.

> Also you must have recompiled your kernel to include "options BRIDGE".
> (you can also load the bridge.ko module with "kldload bridge")

Yes, I loaded the ko at start-up.

This thing just seems strange to me.  Maybe there is something
about bridging that I don't understand.

Cheng