Postfix->Cyrus-imap connection problem

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Sep 10 09:41:39 PDT 2005

Paul Schmehl wrote:
[ ... ]
> relay=/var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp], delay=1457,
> status=deferred (conversation with
> /var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] timed out while sending end
> of data -- message may be sent more than once)
[ ... ]
> If anyone has a clue where to go from here, I'm all ears.  On a related
> note, is there a utility that would allow me to view the conversation
> between the lmtp sockets on postfix and imap?  If I could see what's
> going on, maybe I could figure out why it's failing.

Any chance you're getting locking problems with mail delivery, perhaps when an
IMAP reader looses it's connection and the daemon is sitting there waiting for
a timewhen when a LMTP delivery attempt is made?

If you want to debug LMTP further, start with this section of "man lmtp":

TROUBLE SHOOTING CONTROLS
        debug_peer_level (2)
               The  increment  in verbose logging level when a remote client or
               server matches a pattern in the debug_peer_list parameter.

        debug_peer_list (empty)
               Optional list of remote client or  server  hostname  or  network
               address  patterns  that  cause  the  verbose  logging  level  to
               increase by the amount specified in $debug_peer_level.

        error_notice_recipient (postmaster)
               The recipient of postmaster notifications  about  mail  delivery
               problems that are caused by policy, resource, software or proto-
               col errors.

--
-Chuck