Strange (newbie) Gateway Errors

Thomas Dimson tdimson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 08:58:52 PDT 2005

Hi,
I am running: FreeBSD-6.0Beta4

I don't have natd configured in the slightest. My assumption was that I
didn't need to run it because I have a router assigning the IP addresses and
doing NAT for my cable modem, while my university is assigning me an IP
address for the second interface. Maybe I do need to run it. Can someone
point me in the direction of an install guide, or quickly explain it - the
man page confused me half to death.

Also: what was that information about having natd on both interfaces? I know
that's nonstandard, so how would you configure that?

My /etc/rc.conf:
# Created: Fri Sep 9 02:14:16 2005
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1 <http://192.168.1.1>"
gateway_enable="YES"
#natd_enable="YES"
#natd_interface="vr0"
#natd_flags="-s -u -m"
#hostname="rn-revwdb13.uwaterloo.ca <http://rn-revwdb13.uwaterloo.ca>"
hostname="presidenturkel"
ibcs2_enable="YES"
ifconfig_vr0="inet 192.168.1.110 <http://192.168.1.110> netmask
255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>"
ifconfig_vr1="DHCP"
kern_securelevel="1"
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
saver="daemon"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
svr4_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Fri Sep 9 19:53:50 2005
router_flags="-s"
router="/sbin/routed"
router_enable="YES"

PS: I haven't tried doing too much on this, obviously I uncommented the
lines about natd without much success.