GCC snapshots and the ports collection

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Sep 10 08:14:50 PDT 2005

Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
> I have two issues with selecting the appropriate version of gcc:
>
> 1, There is the port net/verlihub, that needs gcc 3.3 that is broken
> under amd64. What solution do You recommend?

Fix net/verlihub to not depend on a specific version of gcc.

> 2, There are gcc snapshots in the ports collection like lang/gcc34,
> lang/gcc40, lang/gcc41, but there aren't releaes, just snapshots. Are
> these gcc snapshots as reliable as the releases are?

No.

> Can I use for instance lang/gcc34 for production goals instead of the stock
> compiler, or is it just for development/testing usage?

You can use a snapshot compiler to build anything you want, although it is
recommended that you use the system compiler when building the system itself.

(Unfortunately, the GCC folks have been breaking the C++ ABI from release to
release pretty regularly, which means that sufficiently different gcc revisions
cannot link each other's C++ object code or libraries.)

--
-Chuck