need more info

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Sep 10 07:17:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Nathansm at aol.com wrote:

> What exactly is FreeBSD?

It's an operating system, a good one.

> Can it be used by the computer beginner or do you need to be a very
> knowledgable computer user?

It can be used by the beginner provided they are willing to read the
instructions and type commands.  Many people consider that "too hard".

Mousey-clicky-pointy-desktopy prepackaged versions of FreeBSD are also
available; see http://www.pcbsd.com.  This is FreeBSD with an installer
and the desktop GUI setup integrated.

> Is it compatible with my computer?  It is a compaq presario 5000
> series with an AMD Duron 750MHz processor.

That processor is fine.  I'd suggest at least 64M of RAM and 4G of disk
space, which it probably already has.