What is fsck trying to tell me?

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Sep 10 04:20:54 PDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Leonard Zettel wrote:

> When I issue the followinf command:
>
> mount /dev/ad1s1c /mnt
>
> I get the response
> WARNING: R/W mount of /mnt denied. filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> mount: /dev/ad1s1c: Operation not premitted
>
> Then when I try
>
> fsck /dev/ad1s1c
>
> I get
> fsck: exec fsck_unused for /dev/ad1s1c in sbin: /usr/sbin: No such
> file or directory
>
> BTW, mount -f /dev/ad1s1c /mnt
>
> gets me what I expect, but the hassle leading up to it has
> me scared to death. Now what? punt?

You're using the default "whole slice" partition, ad1s1c. My guess is,
you're using the default disklabel for that slice. If you look at that
disklabel,

# disklabel ad1s1

you'll see a line like this:

  c: 156301425        0    unused        0     0 # "raw" part, don't edit

Now, fsck uses external helper utilities to check the consistency of
various types of filesystem. If the filesystem has an entry in
/etc/fstab, it'll pull the type from there if you specify the mount
point. If you specify the device, it looks like fsck is using the
disklabel rather than actually "tasting" the partition to determine what
fsck to use.

You can fix this by disklabelling your device and fixing the type of
partition "c": this should be ok. You can probably also tell fsck
explicitly what type of filesystem to check, or just invoke the
appropriate fsck_ufs directly.

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Usenet: The separation of content AND presentation - simultaneously.