What is fsck trying to tell me?

Leonard Zettel zettel at acm.org
Sat Sep 10 03:54:55 PDT 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 09:13 am, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Leonard Zettel wrote:
> >On Saturday 10 September 2005 12:44 am, Mike Hernandez wrote:
> >>Have you tried explicitly telling fsck what file system it's going to
> >>be checking?
> >
> >Duhhhh.... What is the syntax for doing that?
>
> Assuming that's a serious question, a serious example
> would be:
>
>     $ fsck /var

A bit difficult to see how to apply that in the present context.
If I understand things correctly, /var designates a "mount point".
I have my hardware set up to use swappable hard drives,
with the idea of using one drive for backups, mounting it on
/mnt for that purpose.
But when I try to do that, mount won't mount (without -f).
fsck won't fsck either, or at least gives me a message I
don't understand.

My (somewhat shallow) perusal of what documentation I
can find suggests that fsck should be used on an unmounted
file system (to guarantee its "quiescence"). So what, other than
the device designation, do I hand off to fsck?
Or should I force the mount and then use fsck?
   -LenZ-