Slow transfers to 5.4 / 4.11 is ok

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Sat Sep 10 03:33:26 PDT 2005

Hi,

we are experiencing a very strange problem. All transfers from Windows XP boxes to our new FreeBSD 5.4 installation seem to be quite slow. The 5.4 is located in a housing center and we try to access it from behind 3MBit DSL lines. Instead of the expected ~320KByte/sec we only get 220KByte/sec. If I use a FreBSD, OSX or linux machine behind the same router to download stuff from our 5.4 machine, everything is in perfect order. If I access 4.11 installations from the same Windows XP machines, everything is fine as well:

Linux -> 5.4: ~320K
FreeBSD 4 -> 5.4: ~320K
Windows XP -> 5.4: ~220K
Windows XP -> 4.x: ~320K

Prior to the 5.4 box we had a 4.11 machine at the same location, same routers clients etc. Again: Until we changed the box download speed were ok. MTU etc. seem to be correct as well. This also happens from several locations with different setups, providers etc. always with the results shown above. So we are pretty confident that some change between 4.X and 5.4 breaks the transfer rates when it comes to Windows XP.

Do any of you have an idea where we could/should look for? Are there any timing issues corrected/changed in 5.X?

Regards,
  JP