php compile options

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:47:37 PDT 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 14:21,  the author Kevin Kinsey contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: php compile options:

>Vizion wrote:
>>On Friday 09 September 2005 11:13,  the author Kevin Kinsey contributed to
>> the dialogue on-
>>
>> Re: php compile options:
>>>Vizion wrote:
>>
>>I do wish thiss kind of info was documented, for every port  in
>>Port_Install.readme or something similar- I have spent ages trying to get
>> to bottom of how to deal with this!
>
>AFAIK, it is documented; see ports(7).
>
>>Different ports require different knowledge as to how they should be
>>installed!
>
>`cd /usr/ports/category/fooport && sudo make install clean`
>works in the general case for every port in the tree* (assuming
>in this exact case, that you've already installed and configured
>"sudo", and the directory /usr/ports/category/fooport exists and
>contains a port skelton, of course).

Not quite true in this case you need to know to install extensions when all
the written php manuals tell you to install php and declare options. It might
have been helpful to have had a  Port_Install. readme file with that simple
info in it - just for idiots like me!!

The idiots motto should be to encourage othwers to support one in the notion:

"You''ll not walk alone"

david

>Otherwise do it as root without
>calling sudo.  The system does the work, and, in the general sense,
>no particular expertise is required.
>
>>Ah well -- live and learn I gues -- but once someone has learnt can we not
>>have a siomple means of passing the learning on without wasting the time of
>>every learner!!
>
>Ah, yes.  "I am Locutus of Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is
>futile."
>But it only works that way in Star Trek ;-)  Real Life is more like Will
>Rogers:
>"There are two ways of getting smarter.  One is reading, and the other is
>hanging around with smarter people."
>
>Between 'RTFM' and hanging around this list, I'm doing both :-D
>
>Kevin Kinsey
>
>* Occasionally a port is marked as "broken".  Occasionally one is broken,
>and nobody else knows about it --- yet.  Both cases would be exceptions.

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.