Will USB serial ever be fixed?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Sep 9 12:50:59 PDT 2005

At 02:59 PM 09/09/2005, Frank Mayhar wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 10:09 -0700, Paul Marciano wrote:
> > I have a general question on the status of USB to
> > serial support in FreeBSD (specifically the ucom and
> > ftdi drivers).
> >
> > I need an extra serial port on my system and for
> > reasons outside the scope of this email I can't just
> > plug in a PCI card.  I'm trying to use USB, but it
> > seems that ucom is broken and no one is fixing it.
> >
> > A tcflush() bug posted last year reports that USB
> > serial ports hang on a call to tcflush().  This can be
> > observed by using getty on one.
> >
> > Another poster reported problems running PPP
> > (including a kernel crash).
>
>Well, I've got a handful of such devices that appear to work just fine.
>Now, mine are based on the Prolific PL-2303* chips but you don't mention
>any specific hardware.  All I know is that I'm using them for consoles
>(and am  running getty on them) with no hangs or crashes of any kind.

I am using the 2 port serial USB card from http://www.byterunner.com/
and it works quite well on RELENG_5 and RELENG_6

ucom0: FTDI USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER, rev 2.00/5.00, addr 3
ucom1: FTDI USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER, rev 2.00/5.00, addr 3

There were a number of fixes that went into RELENG_5 that fixed
panics that I was seeing.  I use this ucom device presently to access
2 servers without any issues

If you can provide more detail as to exactly what you were doing to
trigger the panic, I can try and reproduce it on my gear here to see
if its fixed or not.

         ---Mike