Will USB serial ever be fixed?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 9 12:40:54 PDT 2005

> Be honest.  Be brutal.  I need to know where FreeBSD
> stands on this.

Personal opinion: You overstate the probelems, and have a bad
attitude.

More details:

I use umodem + ucom all the time for connecting to the internet on my
laptop.  I've had exactly 0 problems doing this for the past 4 years.
I run current every day on this laptop, and do substantial
development.  If the problems were as dire as you suggest, I'd be
unable to do this at all.

There may be other problems in the serial subsystem intersected with
usb, however I think you vastly overstate your case.  Even to the
point that it will be hard for you to effect change because people
don't take you seriously.

Warner