Help running shell script from cron

Sandy Knight webmaster at freshtraxxx.com
Fri Sep 9 05:57:36 PDT 2005

I am having trouble configuring my shell scripts to run under cron (user level, not root). I have
set up a test.sh script which sends me an email, it works fine from the command line (ssh). the
script is as follows:

#!/bin/sh
echo "helloworld" | mail -s "helloworld" user at domain.com
php /home/a_user/cron/test.php

As you can see I am also trying to get a php script to run (this is my ultimate aim).

My crontab is as follows:

# /home/a_user
#
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/home/a_user/cron
HOME=/home/a_user
#
#
#minute hour    mday    month   wday    command
#
#
*/5 * * * *   /home/a_user/cron/test.sh

I have done the following:

$ pwd

/home/a_user

$ crontab cron/myCronTab

$ crontab -l

{output - see above}

Crontab is trying to run my script as I receive an email every 5 minutes saying:

/home/a_user/cron/test.sh: not found

The permissions for the scripts are:

$ ls -lt cron/

-rw-r--r--  1 a_user  vusers   322 Sep  9 12:27 myCronTab
-rwxr-xr-x  1 a_user  vusers   107 Sep  9 12:16 test.sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 a_user  vusers    99 Sep  4 17:58 test.php

Thank you in advance,

Sandy