freebsd on memory card

Damon Blom surferdamon at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 8 22:14:35 PDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 06:23 am, you wrote:
> On 08/09/2005, at 6:36 AM, Damon Blom wrote:
> > Hi
> >    Still no go.
> >       will boot (very slowly) from external usb hard drive.
> >           da0  maxtor scsi -0 device  194481 mb
> >       will not boot
> >           da1  hp digital drive 976 mb (whole disk)
> >              da1s1a  /
> >             da1s1d  /usr
> >   I disabled hitachi drive and external maxtor drive
> >       get
> >            F1 Freebsd
> >            F5 drive1
> >       will not let me press enter
> >           Phoenix Bios version F.35
> >    Thank's (I can still mount it and r/w from it)
> >            Damon
>
> I would say, and this is just a guess, that the bios doesn't recognise
> it as a bootable device or it is unable to find/use the boot block?
Hi    Thank's for the reply. In fdisk I just said "A" and then "S" to set
bootable before "W" to write it out. I did change /etc/fstab to da1s1a
and da1s1d. When I do fdisk after mounting it it says
    device /mnt/boot/mbr is not character special. Info from dos bootblock;
       data for partition 1,2,3,4 is unused.
  I'll try putting small dos partition first.
           Thank's
               Damon