/usr/ports/www/phpbb --? Makefile query

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Sep 8 19:48:33 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 05:34:32PM -0700, Vizion wrote:
> On Thursday 08 September 2005 17:23, you wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 05:05:41PM -0700, Vizion wrote:
> >> The makefile has the following lines:
> >>
> >> PHPBBDIR=	${WWWDOCROOT}/${PHPBBURL}
> >> PKGOPTS=	${FILESDIR}/pkg-opts
> >> EXCEPTFILES=	${PREFIX}/${PHPBBDIR}/install/install.php \
> >> 		${PREFIX}/${PHPBBDIR}/install/upgrade.php \
> >> 		${PREFIX}/${PHPBBDIR}/install/update_to_latest.php
> >>
> >> In my case DocumentRoot is:
> >> WWWDOCROOT?=	/usr2/virtualwebs
> >>
> >> to which the port is adding ${PREFIX}
> >>
> >> which has a local value of /usr/local
> >>
> >> producing attempts to install files with problematic paths such as
> >>
> >> /usr/local//usr2/virtualwebs/forumkatrina.org/install/install.php
> >> ^^^^^^
> >>
> >> I wonder, while this is being looked at, whether it might be possible to
> >> have the option, when installing to virtual webs to install to a file list
> >> comprising multiple urls?
> >>
> >> This would be a most valuable option.
> >
> >Installation outside prefix is not supported.  You could set
> >prefix to /usr2
>
> Where is ${PREFIX} set?

It defaults to /usr/local or you can set it to anything you want on the
make command line.

> >and WWWDOCROOT to virtualwebs to install the key
> >files where you want them.
> But does that not mean that I would be getting files that properly belong in
> the /usr/local/ hierarchy in the virtualwebs hierarchy?

That depends on your definition of properly.  Yes they will end up
there, but that's what is supposed to happen when you set, PREFIX to
something other than /usr/local.

> >This would cause /usr2 to be populated
> >with the directories given in BSD.local.dist.  Alternativly,
> >you could make /usr/local/www/forumkatrina.org a symlike to
> >/usr2/virtualwebs/forumkatrina.org or something similar.
>

> That would be a good idea but unfortunately there appears to be a bug in the
> latest version of apache2 that makes symlinks problematical and it is not a
> good idea when the files are networked. The other thing is that /usr2/ is a
> different physical device which holds files for replication to duplicate
> physical devices for webfarming.

That shouldn't be an issue.  If you point apache at the real paths,
everything should be fine.  I merely suggest using a symlike to get the
files installed where you want them.

> >Of course, if
> >you want to install it more than once, ports won't work as it.
> >Making phpbb capable of being a slave port and making local ports for each
> site could be a good work around for that.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix the Makefile for the port so that it does not
> apply ${PREFIX} when presented with an absolute path such as / but does use
> ${PREFIX} when the path is relative.
>
> That would do as a workaround for the moment.
>
> I am  not familiar with makefiles and I would like to ask if someone who is
> used to doing it might be willing to make such a change and commit

That would be breaking the Makefile, not fixing it.  Realistly, if you
want to use a non-standard file system layout, you shouldn't use the
port.  Just do a "make depends" in the phpbb port directory to get the
pieces you need, and then install phpbb by hand.  Most php apps are
pretty trivial to install if you know how to configure a web server and
database.

-- Brooks

P.S. Please stop randomly cross posting your messages.  It just wastes
people's time.