NFS client performance against MS SFU 3.5 NFS Server

Tom Pepper tom at phonebites.com
Thu Sep 8 14:02:32 PDT 2005

All:

Anyone having any good fortune with performance of NFS shares in a
current 5-STABLE against Windows 2003 Services For Unix 3.5 server?
I'm able to, with some pretty extreme tuning, get as much as 1MB/sec
out of a 100Mbps link, but I'm able to FTP to and from the same host
at 8-10MB/sec.  I've tried different send/receive windows, NFSv2,
NFSv3, forcing TCP/UDP, and setting the tcp windows to some pretty
outrageous sizes.  None of the above really seems to net me
performance above 500-600kB/sec (testing via rsync --progress -av /
local/dir /mnt/nfsshare).

mount_smbfs is also incapable of going beyond 1MB/sec in a similar
arrangement.  Why on earth is performance sucking so bad?

Thanks,
-t