question about zlib security patch

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Sep 8 08:22:13 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Sep 08), Chantal Rosmuller said:
> I was installing clamav 0.83 on a freebsd 5.4 system and I got the
> following error: clamav configure: error: The installed zlib version
> may contain a security bug
>
> I want to upgrade zlib to solve this but:
> - I don't know how I can see what version of zlib I have at the moment?
> - I found the following advice on the freebsd site:
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:18.zlib.asc
>
> according to this I have to do the following:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # patch < /path/to/patch
> # cd /usr/src/lib/libz/
> # make obj && make depend && make && make install
>
> but I have no /usr/src/lib/libz/

You will need to fetch the FreeBSD source tree first:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html#STABLE

If you still have your installation CDs, you should be able to run
sysinstall and just reinstall the src distribution ( Configure ->
Distributions -> select 'src', select 'All' ).

Then you can apply the patch.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com