tarring a dump. Problems with a pipe

Robin Smith rasmith at aristotle.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 8 08:21:33 PDT 2005

>>>>> "vdemart1 at tin" == vdemart1 at tin it <vdemart1 at tin.it> writes:

    vdemart1 at tin> I'm getting accostumed to dump my fbsd 5.4
    vdemart1 at tin> filesystems with "dump" on files in a samba
    vdemart1 at tin> share. Now, I'd like to compress the dumped files
    vdemart1 at tin> "in the making" (for instance piping it via tar) but
    vdemart1 at tin> I don't know how to do it.

For a level 0 dump (change level to suit

dump -0 -f - /dev/yourfilesystem |bzip2 -c >dump.bz

Don't use tar: you want to compress one big file, not create an
archive of lots of files.

This will be slower than just doing a plain dump to file, but the
compression ratio can be huge.

Robin Smith