Printing MAN pages

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Sep 8 07:33:42 PDT 2005

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to print 'man' pages. If I try a simple
> redirect, such as: "man foo > foo.txt" the new file is loaded with
> control symbols, etc. that are not really printable. I want to save the
> files if possible, and print them out at a later date. It that is not
> possible, how would I go about printing them out in real time?

Not the best solution for every situation, but when I need hard copy
I just go get well formatted versions from the web rather than
trying to munge the output from the local system:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

You could save those views as HTML, I suppose. I prefer to always be
getting the latest version. I also find that in a pinch (lame
printer + no/slow Internet) it works OK to do

man foo | lp

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348