question about zlib security patch

Chantal Rosmuller chantal at antenna.nl
Thu Sep 8 07:23:12 PDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I was installing clamav 0.83 on a freebsd 5.4 system and I got the
following error:
clamav configure: error: The installed zlib version may contain a
security bug

I want to upgrade zlib to solve this but:
- I don't know how I can see what version of zlib I have at the moment?
- I found the following advice on the freebsd site:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:18.zlib.asc

according to this I have to do the following:

# cd /usr/src
# patch < /path/to/patch
# cd /usr/src/lib/libz/
# make obj && make depend && make && make install

but I have no /usr/src/lib/libz/

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

regards Chantal