Can't 'startx', said 'libXfixes.so.3' not found, required by 'gnome-session'

Yuan Jue yuanjue122 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 05:52:05 PDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 20:33, jia liu wrote:
> I met problem:
> 1. I installed freebsd 5.3-release first, then update
> source tree, buildworld and install success to up
> freebsd 5.4-release.
> 2. pkg_add -r gnome2, add
> '/usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-sessio' to my .xinitrc file
> after installed gnome2.10.
> 3. Tried to startx, but it said
> '/libexec/ld-elf.s0.1:shared object "libXfixes.so.3"
> not found, required by "gnome-session"', can't enter
> window.

I'm afraid you have fetched the latest gnome2 package which is not compiled
under FB5.4. It's probably compiled under FB6.0.

My suggestion is going to ftp://ftp.freebsdchina.org to fetch the gnome2
package for FreeBSD5.4 (you are in china, right?) and there you are.

Good luck!

--
Best Regards.

Yuan Jue