PPPoE to connect to T-DSL

Schleich, Arno A.Schleich at klinikum-tut.de
Thu Sep 8 05:32:26 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have a similar question as some people before and - yes - I researched
the archives to try out the various solutions proposed over the months.
None of which yet did the job.

I just need to connect my notebook to the internet using pppoe to hook
up to t-dsl, a German adsl provider.

I installed 5.4 Release with very few problems.

I modified ppp.conf according to various postings on this list.

Yet I am quite unsure as to which other configuration files I have to
adapt and which to leave alone.

Every posting in the archive differs somewhat regarding this issue (e.g.
does one have to modify host.conf or resolv.conf or or others or none
and if yes how???).

Anyway, trying to use the most generic ppp.conf it hangs in 'Phase' (as
far as I can understand the log). It redials and redials, which results
in multiple

deflink: Connected
deflink: Hangup

sequences in the /var/lod/ppp.log. Btw, I upped the rl0 interface prior
to starting ppp, so I hope this is not an issue. There is no activity on
the LEDs of the dsl modem.

To preempt some suggestions - it actually worked under SuCKse Linux 9.3,
one of the few things that did actually work, which prompted me to
switch to FreeBSD.

I should be truly thankful if I were to receive some hints.

Thanks