Running Program memory limit

Mark Ruggles mark.ruggles at lcn.com
Thu Sep 8 02:16:35 PDT 2005

Hi Guys,

I'm using the pan newsreader in FreeBSD 6.0-BETA2 #0 build from ports.
Pan operates normally on small newsgroups with not to many articles,
however if i try to load a group with 1000000+ articles (my servers have
good retention) Pan seems to bomb out completely whilst loading the
groups articles, giving no errors or warnings.

Memory usage for the process is high upto ~500meg RAM at any one time
when loading the group.

Has the Kernel reached a theoretical limit for the size of a process and
killed it off?

If so can this behaviour be changed at all?

thanks

Mark