Sendmail not using aliases

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Sep 7 07:03:17 PDT 2005

On 2005-09-07 07:50, Steve Suhre <tech at nano.net> wrote:
> No, just a generic "DSN: Data format error". The bounced message just
> says user unknown. If I rebuild the aliases and virtusertable db's I
> get nothing but new db files, no errors. No errors of any kind in the
> log files when sendmail starts during boot.

Local addresses should work similarly to the one below in Sendmail's
``address test mode''.  The lines starting with ``-->'' are the ones
I typed.  The final ^D is an EOF to exit Sendmail's -bt mode:

-->   % orion:/home/keramida$ sendmail -bt
      % ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
      % Enter <ruleset> <address>
-->   % > 3,0 keramida
      % canonify           input: keramida
      % Canonify2          input: keramida
      % Canonify2        returns: keramida
      % canonify         returns: keramida
      % parse              input: keramida
      % Parse0             input: keramida
      % Parse0           returns: keramida
      % ParseLocal         input: keramida
      % ParseLocal       returns: keramida
      % Parse1             input: keramida
      % Parse1           returns: $# local $: keramida
      % parse            returns: $# local $: keramida
      % > ^D
      % orion:/home/keramida$

Can you try this with one of the local addresses that are failing and
tell me what you see?