Antwort: Re: How to disable debugging in userland?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Sep 7 05:02:11 PDT 2005

On 2005-09-07 13:40, Axel.Gruner at suedfactoring.de wrote:
>> Userland programs are not installed with debugging information by
>> default.  You have to specifically request that debugging *is* enabled,
>> instead (by setting DEBUG_FLAGS either in your environment or in your
>> /etc/make.conf file) and rebuild.
>
> But /usr/src/UPDATING tells me that both, kernel- and userland debugging is
> enabled per default.

Part of this is true for FreeBSD-CURRENT[1].  Releases are built without
any debugging information, to save some space on the release CD-ROMs and
the installed area.

> So, maybe i misunderstood UPDATING or your answer ;-).

It could also be that both me and UPDATING are partly wrong.

> Ok, setting DEBUG_FLAGS looks fine, but, where can i find these? I can
> not see them in "man make.conf" also not in make.conf example.

Good point.  I just noticed this while writing my post to you.  I'll try
to add a description of DEBUG_FLAGS in the make.conf(5) manpage.

I found the description of DEBUG_FLAGS after a post by Ruslan Ermilov in
one of the other lists and a bit of searching in /usr/share/mk/* files.
IMHO, it shouldn't be that hard to find it.

- Giorgos