[users@httpd] Virtual host config SOLVED

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:49:46 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 16:09,  the author Vizion contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: [users at httpd] Virtual host config:

>On Tuesday 06 September 2005 10:20,  the author Vizion contributed to the
>dialogue on-
>
> [users at httpd] Virtual host config:
>>Hi
>>
>>My Apache2 runs on Unix (Freebsd) with
>>httpd.conf including
>>ServerRoot "/usr/local"
>>DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/data"
>>
>>It is so long ago that I was working on apache that I have forgotten the
>>basics!
>>
>>I am adding a number of virtual hosts the files  located as
>>
>>/usr2/virtualhosts/vhostname1/
>>/usr2/virtualhosts/vhostname2/
>>etc
>>
>>I want to keep the existing website running under /usr/local/www/data as
>> well as the virtual hosts.
>>
>>I do not want to try the Virtual-Host Aliases until I have got my head
>> around the basics!
>>
>>I have set up a virtualhosts.conf file using an Include directory:
>>
>>Include etc/apache2/Includes/*.conf
>>
>><VirtualHost x.x.x.x>
>>        DocumentRoot /usr2/virtualwebs/vhostname1
>>        ServerName vhostname1.com
>>        AcceptPathInfo On
>></VirtualHost>
>>
>>I am clearly not getting my set up/permissions right because I get
>>
>>You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>>
>>It seems  some needed directives are missing from the virtualhosts.conf
>> and/or httpd.conf files.
>>
>>Despite reading the documentation I do not get it!
>
>I have also tried using a link
>dns1# cd www
>dns1# ls -l
>total 14
>
>lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    18 Sep  6 14:20 virtualwebs ->
> /usr2/virtualwebs/
>
>with virtualhosts.conf carrying entries of:
>
><VirtualHost x.x.x.x>
>	DocumentRoot /www/virtualwebs/vhost1.com
>	ServerName vhost1.com
>	AcceptPathInfo On
></VirtualHost>
>and tried
><VirtualHost x.x.x.x>
>	DocumentRoot /virtualwebs/vhost1.com
>	ServerName vhost1.com
>	AcceptPathInfo On
></VirtualHost>
>when that did not work
>In either case I get
>Warning: DocumentRoot [/www/virtualwebs/vhost1.com] does not exist
>
>How can I get this right?

OK solved it - the manual I was using gave the impression that the
DocumentRoot was specified relative to the server root rather than
absolutely. Once I got over that the rest fell into place.

Thanks
david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.