Compiling for the first time (more or less)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Sep 6 19:26:10 PDT 2005

On 2005-09-06 15:48, Derrill Guilbert <derrill at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, my next question is, how does one know that the wonderful and
> brilliant FreeBSD port squad already took care of things like this?

The ports(7) manpage is a good start and it also includes a link to the
relevant Handbook section.  You can get a fair amount of information
about the Ports (what they are, how it all works, etc.) by running:

	% man 7 ports

> Am I just going to have to ask more stupid questions like this, until
> I get a better feel for things?

Well, there's an old saying that no question is a stupid question.  You
can speed things up a lot though by looking for "keywords" that match
what you want to do in the archives of this list.  Most of the questions
one finds himself wanting to ask when they start working with FreeBSD
have already been answered; repeatedly too :)

- Giorgos