SCSI + IDE together

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Sep 6 13:08:53 PDT 2005

On Sep 6, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Gayn Winters wrote:
> What does it take to be able to use a mixture of SCSI and IDE (ATA)
> disks?

Nothing special.  You could boot off a FreeBSD CD-ROM image and do
so, or from a working FreeBSD install on one of the drives.  Your
SCSI disks will be /dev/da0, da1, etc and your IDE disks will be /dev/
ad0, ad1, etc.

>   I'd like to be able to copy (dd) one to another.

While dd will work, in the sense that you can copy blocks of data
directly, it is unlikely that the two drives will be of the same size
and have the same geometry/partition table.  This may or may not
present a problem, but you might want to consult:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-
HUGE-DISK

--
-Chuck