Compiling for the first time (more or less)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Sep 6 12:13:22 PDT 2005

On 2005-09-06 12:04, Derrill Guilbert <derrill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Up until now, I've been able to get by just using ports, and mostly
> just the magic "pkg_add -r" ...
>
> Now I'm trying to create a samba server that will join a Win2k
> domain. I managed to install Samba 3.12 using pkg_add -r samba3
> ... and at the very end I get a message saying that the ADS support is
> disabled by default, because it creates a kerberos dependency and (I
> thought it said) further that I'd have to compile my own.
>
> Ok, fine. I've got the source from samba.org ... where's the basic
> "roll your own" page in the handbook?

Nah, don't do it this way.  Our friendly Ports hackers have already
ported Samba3 with ADS support to FreeBSD.  All you need is to build
using the Ports:

1. Start by obtaining a /usr/ports tree, i.e. through CVSup.

2. Configure and install Samba3

	tarja:/# cd /usr/ports/net/samba3
	tarja:/usr/ports/net/samba3# make config

   (Make sure you enable ADS support at the configuration dialog that
   pops up when you type "make config".)

	tarja:/usr/ports/net/samba3# make install

That should install Samba3 as a "port", instead of a precompiled "package"..