Compiling for the first time (more or less)

Derrill Guilbert derrill at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:04:47 PDT 2005

Up until now, I've been able to get by just using ports, and mostly just
the magic "pkg_add -r" ...

Now I'm trying to create a samba server that will join a Win2k domain. I
managed to install Samba 3.12 using pkg_add -r samba3 ... and at the
very end I get a message saying that the ADS support is disabled by
default, because it creates a kerberos dependency and (I thought it
said) further that I'd have to compile my own.

Ok, fine. I've got the source from samba.org ... where's the basic "roll
your own" page in the handbook? I'm probaby searching for the wrong
thing or need to spend some time at the Sylvan learning center for my
Being Stupid disability. Please, someone tell me where in the handbook
or elsewhere to find the basics of how to reconfigure for and do the
Make thing.

I was run through it once by a friend, but it was one of those "ok, vi
[filename], search for [some string], change it to [some other string],
save the file, run make, then make install" (I think) ... and it was
long ago. So I suppose it will look kind of familiar when I find it, but
I'd like to have something to read while I do it.

Or maybe I'm asking the wrong question? If you'd like to point me to the
correct question, that would also be lovely.

Derrill