Strange case of filesystem corruption?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Sep 6 08:19:34 PDT 2005

Robert Watson wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 06:51 am, Robert Watson wrote:
>> = Have you recently experienced a system crash or hard reboot without
>> proper
>> = shutdown?
>>
>> According to dmesg.boot, this filesystem was flagged as "not properly
>> dismounted" back then. The machine's uptime is currently 47 days and
>> no background fskcs are running, of course.
>>
>> Yours analysis is, likely, correct then... I guess, the fix should be
>> MFCed. (What about 6.0-release?) Thanks!
>

> The change was made in HEAD before the 6.x branch, so it's currently in
> RELENG_6.  I fired off an e-mail to Kirk to ask about MFC'ing it to
> RELENG_5, and will do so once I hear back, assuming he thinks there is
> no reason not to.
>
> Do you have back logs to when bgfsck was running, btw?  Normally it
> should correct this sort of thing, suggestion that bgfsck exited without
> correcting them, which is a little worrying.  You may want to boot to
> single user and fsck manually...

I thought that having background_fsck="NO" in your rc.conf would make
the partition get mounted even though it is unclean, and no fsck's would
happen (I use this 'feature' right now, since doing bgfsck on a 2TB
partition takes about 2 hours just to make the snapshot, which means
filesystem activity is suspended for that time).  If it was set to
"YES", and bgfsck exited abnormally, I don't think it will get mounted
automatically, so he would have had to manually mount it, correct?
Mikhail, do any of those scenario's sound like a match?

Eric