Weird print behaviour in Firefox/Mozilla/Thunderbird and FreeBSD 6.0

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Tue Sep 6 07:27:42 PDT 2005

Hello.

I realize a weird printing behaviour of Thunderbird/Mozilla/Firefox.
Whenever I try to print a page the software gets stuck and it takes
several minutes before it come back to ask me for the printer. After
clicking on the print button it takes again several minutes before the
job gets printed.

Watching the process via 'top' I can not recognize anything unspecific,
but the process (either one of the above mentioned) remains in 'kserel'.

I realized this strange behaviour on another machine which is not
attached to a network nor has a printer, but viewing the print-preface
results in the same stuck behaviour.

Hope it is a simple, stupid misconfiguration or anything similar, but
two different configs and environments produce the same "stuckness".
printing on the specific machines is no problem (using lpd, not CUPS!).

In the past I had problems with CUPS, which gets partially installed
when using GIMP print. How can I investigate whether the problem is
related to a conflict between the traditional BSD lpd (which is used on
all of our boexs) and CUPS?

Thanks,
Oliver