IPFW counters.

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Sep 6 06:44:46 PDT 2005

Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Grant,

> I am in the midst of setting up bandwidth monitoring for all my domains
> and IPs. To do this I will be using IPFW counter rules and ipa.
>
> Question: I have about 250 domains on each box.

I assume you mean are hosting 250 websites for 250 different domains in
each box.

> to monitor all of them,
> I would need to set up over 500 counter rules, how well will ipfw and
> freebsd 4.10 and up) handle this?

are you actually using 250 IP address per box? (does seem a bit of a
waste), unless they are 250 jails.

Or maybe ipfw understands layer 7 now, and I missed that release :)...
(just curious on how you are setting this up if you only have a few IPs)

Cheers,
Beto