Hard disk woes

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Sep 6 06:21:52 PDT 2005

Michael Abbott wrote:

> I still think the question: "why does FreeBSD hang?" is interesting.

indeed - no idea how Linux handles - win32 would probably BSOD (I had
W2K servers BSOD because someone accidently powered down an external
drive it was writing to. nasty).
anyway, i had a weird problem too, ad4 (SATA drive) got detached
overnight - more details at:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-September/097607.html

When I got to the console in the morning, the box was completelly frozen
at the console, though I could access just fine via ssh.

Would anyone care to provide some explanation about this?

(After a couple of full scans with mhdd and no problems detected, I put
the drive back into the server and it's been running ok since then.
bloody weird.)

thanks in advance,
beto