Sendmail with SASL2

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Mon Sep 5 09:19:20 PDT 2005

Recently I recompiled my system and installed a mailserver according to
this ( http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/freebsd/sendmail.html )
howto. So far everything seemed to work. I can read my mail and I can
send mail from the server itself. But when I try to send e-mail from my
laptop when using my mailserver as smtp server it won't send the e-mail.
As a client I am using Thunderbird 1.0.6 smtp settings are:

server: fstaals.net
port: 25
user: frank
security: TLS if available

when sending an e-mail I am prompted for my password, but when I enter
it my send is denied. At my server I can see this:

Sept 5 18:09:36 FStaals sendmail[67103] : no user in db
Sept 5 18:09:36 FStaals sendmail[67103] : no secret in database

the weird thing is that it does accept my user and pass when I try to
read my mail from the server. And in /usr/local/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf
is set it should use my systems password file:

root at FStaals# cat /usr/local/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf
pwcheck_method: saslauthd

The problem is the same when connecting on the smtps port ( 465 ) with
thunderbird.

What should I do now ? My user does exist on the sytem, but I don't know
why imap-uw // Sasl recognises it when I try reading my mail but
Sendmail // Sasl doesn't when trying to send a message.

What am I doing wrong ?

--
-Frank Staals