Internal SD card reader, Dell laptop

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 5 09:03:34 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 03:26:22PM +0100, Ben Paley wrote:
> > > Is that it?
> >
> > I think so. According to the following page,
> > http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/insp6000/p-proc.html#sd it is a Ricoh
> > R5c576A chip. Looking at the Ricoh page for this chip,
> > http://www.ricoh.com/LSI/product_pcif/pcc/5c576a/ there seems to be no
> > programming info available.
> >
> > AFAICT, there is no Linux driver either, but someone seems to be working
> > on it: http://list.drzeus.cx/pipermail/wbsd-devel/2005-March/000261.html
> > You could try contacting this person to see how far his efforts have
> > come, and who the FreeBSD kernel developer is who is working on this.
>
> Thanks a lot for your advice - I shall follow it, even if it is slightly
> dispiriting. Perhaps I should learn C properly and start writing some
> drivers... :-)

Not that I want to discourage you, but that seems like a tall
order. Apart from knowing C, you'd have to get familiar with the FreeBSD
kernel and writing device drivers.

I guess a driver for an SD card reader should be similar to the USB
umass(4) driver. It should also handle disks by using the CAM transport
layer and da(4) devices.

If you are serious about writing a driver, I would recommend reading
"The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System" by
McKusick and Neville-Neil.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.