Won't go into multi-user mode

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Sep 5 08:57:10 PDT 2005

"Christopher H. Laco" <claco at chrislaco.com> writes:

> I have a week old 5.4-STABLE install that absolutely refuses to boot
> into multi-user mode after a restart. I get no errors in dmsg or in
> /var/log/messages. It simply boots like normal, starts most things,
> then stops at a bash prompt. Manually hitting CTRL-D fires off multi
> user mode and everyone is happy.
>
> I've checked loader.conf and it's emtpy. I have no clue where to start
> with this. Anyone have any idea where to start and troubleshoot this?

FreeBSD doesn't even come with bash installed by default, so you need
to look at your system's unique local configuration.  Single-user mode
won't give you a shell directly -- it prompts you for what shell you
want to run -- so it doesn't sound like that either.

Keep a closer eye on the console as you are booting, and post a more
detailed description of what the system is telling you, and maybe
we'll have a clearer idea of what to tell you.

Good luck.