Optimizing FreeBSD

Z.C.B. vvelox at vvelox.net
Sun Sep 4 22:25:48 PDT 2005

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:19:12 -0500
jesse <marquezjesse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any performance gain when using Standard-PC HAL over
> ACPI-PC HAL? I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE on a abit KR7A(KT266A)
> motherboard. I currently have APIC disabled in the bios, ACPI
> disabled at boot and I feel like my system is snappier. Just
> wondering if there is any truth to this.

I've not noticed any difference with ACPI on or off. I just leave it
on so I have access to the features it provides.
Make sure hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest is set to C1.

In the area of APIC I remember finding some devices on my system not
properly detecting with out it, on my Nforce2 board. No clue about
that chipset.

I've never any speed differences though.