Custom Build

Haulmark, Chris chris at sigd.net
Sun Sep 4 18:37:27 PDT 2005

Someone broke the silence:

<snip>

>> What I want to do is make a custom automated build for FreeBSD.
>> Basically, create a build, burn it to CD-ROM, go stick it into a
>> server and it automatically configures to the correct hardware, auto
>> sets up the file system (1 hard drive per server) and then reboots.
>> When it comes back up, I have a full functionaly customized FreeBSD
>> install.

Sounds like Corporate roll out OS release that you are looking for.

>> The only interaction that should happen during the install, is
>> putting in the hostname, select static or dynamic ip and then [for
>> non-FreeBSD app] select to save to local or network drive.  I'm good
>> with perl/bash, etc, so I know how to create a script to automate
>> the install for our application.

There's install.cfg in /usr/src for sysinstall to use to make things more
automatic for you in the menu system.

<snip>

>> The build I want to create would be a "mini-FreeBSD", just the
>> kernal, some basic programs and 1 non-FreeBSD application.  The only
>> port that would be open is for SSHD and all servers would sit behind
>> a firewall in there own seperate subnet (firewall only routes http
>> requests to upload data and incoming ssh connections).

Sounds like a job for a net install.

<snip>

>> Could someone point me in the right direction or to some
>> documentation or other resources?

There are manpages on release(7) and plenty of documentations of creating cd
image releases in the handbook.

Chris Haulmark