frequency is out of range

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Sun Sep 4 12:53:59 PDT 2005

Lately I experienced a couple of times a *freeze* of my X session. The
computer does not respond on anything anymore. The OS has not died. I
can login (SSH) and force a shutdown -r now, but this is annoying.

What happens is that somehow my X (xorg-server-6.8.2_4) sneds a
frequency to my monitor which is out of range (monitor states: 105K /
234 Hz).

I wonder what can be the reason of thsi wrong freq. I have used DCC in
xorg.conf and also commented it out. It has happened in both occasions.
I also am pretty sure it ONLY happened when I was surfing the net with
mozilla (not sure of the relevance here).

I like to get rid of this issue asap. Or at leat want some info how to
deal with it. so, who can help me?

I have a NVidia GForce 6600GT which is driven by the nv driver. The
relevant portion from my xorg.conf:

Section "Module"
	Load "freetype"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "xtrap"
	Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "PHL"
	ModelName    "PHL792b"
 ### Uncomment if you don't want to default to DDC:
#	HorizSync    30.0 - 92.0
#	VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nv"
	ChipSet     "GeForce 6600 GT"
	Card        "nv GeForce 6600 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4