expat with php configuration

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Sun Sep 4 10:54:30 PDT 2005

Hi
Practical ignorance is driving the following question:

I trying to configure php5 with expat (using latest port expat2 (version
expat-1.95.8_3)) and have no experience with expat. I am a comparative
newcomer to php.

I have compiled and installed expat2 and about to configuring php.

An example configure command option for php with expat (taken from pro Apache
by Peter Wainwright) is:

--with-expat-dir=/usr/local/expat \

I cannot find any reference to the function of this expat-dir.
Is  is this option there to create a working directory?
If it is meant to be a working directory what security issues are involved?

or

Is it intended to point to the expat libraries?
If so would appropriate dir be /usr/local/lib/ where libexpat.a and
libexpat.so.5 are located?

I am also confused because there seems, in the port a need for some clarity
about the role of the files when on considers the following man page entry:
-----
NAME
     libbsdxml -- eXpat XML parser library

SYNOPSIS
     #include <bsdxml.h>

DESCRIPTION
     The libbsdxml library is a verbatim copy of the eXpat XML library version
     1.95.5.

     To avoid version and autoconfiguration issues, the library has been
     renamed to libbsdxml rather than retain the original eXpat library and
     include file names to prevent confusion and autoconfiguration issues for
     3rd party software.
-----
It was only after installing expat that I found the only man pages is the
brief reference page under libbsdxml.

It seems that in addition to the expat libs  I mentioned there are also the
libbsdxml libraries:
dns1# locate libbsdxml
/lib/libbsdxml.so.1
/usr/lib/libbsdxml.a
/usr/lib/libbsdxml.so
/usr/lib/libbsdxml_p.a
/usr/share/man/cat3/libbsdxml.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libbsdxml.3.gz
/usr/src/lib/libexpat/libbsdxml.3
/usr/src/lib/libexpat/libbsdxml.3,v

Can anyone please clarify things for me
thanks
David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.