Query on building world

Stuart Chalmers s_chalmers70 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 06:30:01 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have FreeBSD 5.4 installed on both my main PC and an
old PC.  I'm looking to do a 'buildworld' on the old
PC, but I expect that this will take a very long time
as it is only a Pentium 166 (rememeber them?!).

I'm intending on using the main PC to do this
buildworld after transferring the old disk into the
new pc.  As I have the sources on the main PC's disk,
I would like to use these rather than copy them to the
old disk and boot the new PC from the old disk, which
will be a bit of a headache as the machines are very
different (but both i386 architecture).

I was wondering if there was something that one could
pass to the make buildworld command to set up a
different target to build the world to?  If I had
mounted the old disk under /mnt, maybe something like
'make -j4 target=/mnt/ buildworld'???

Any pointers much appreciated ...

Thanks.