boot problem - how can I access the file system

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Sep 3 11:33:12 PDT 2005

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:

>I made a mistake to my /boot/loader.conf file and now the system hangs
>after pressing F1 and before the boot options menu. How can I access the
>file to edit it? I have the install CD, but can't seem to figure out how
>to get to the file system.

When it happened to me, I had the good fortune to
have another FBSD system nearby.  Mounted it there,
edited mistake, voila.

What resources do you have?

Further thoughts: 1] Boot off of a live CD
(Matt Olander posted a link to a nice, fairly small
one on advocacy@ yesterday, IIRC).

2] Fixit CD or Fixit floppy.  Available via FTP
from ftp.freebsd.org.

3] sysinstall's emergency holographic shell -
   dunno if it can edit.  Might be able to cp
   a backup, though, if you have one.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey